The Actor Within

Juliet Eichberg seamlessly transitions to a rewarding HR career

To be a successful actor and voice-over artist, one must put themselves into their character’s mindset in order to deliver a believable portrayal. “What is my character feeling during this scene?” “Why does my character respond in this manner?”

You could also make the case that human resource professionals need to employ this technique to attract and retain “perfect-fit” employees. An HR professional must ask herself, “What responsibilities would attract me to this position?” “Who is the ideal hire for this company?” “What keeps this type of employee motivated?” A successful HR professional gets inside the mindset of the employees they are recruiting and maintaining.

Juliet Eichberg smiling

So it comes as no surprise that actor/voice-over artist Juliet Eichberg found that she had a natural knack for HR. Contemplating a career change to the field but not ready to commit to a graduate-level program, Juliet found our Human Resource Management certificate the perfect fit for her career goals.

“The certificate allowed me to take classes that gave me a peek into the world of HR without committing a lot of time and money in a graduate-level program,” she explains. “Soon after I began the certificate, I landed a position as HR Generalist. The certificate gave me a great foundation to begin my new career.”

I actually received opportunities to interview based on the relationships I made in the program and learned a lot about myself as an HR professional in the process.

Building That Foundation

Although Juliet had had some HR experience—mostly through temp positions and short-term contracts—she didn’t possess the full gamut of HR knowledge needed to successfully transition to this field.

Those first certificate courses introduced her to the theory and concepts an HR professional faces, but as she progressed through the curriculum, Juliet soon began to layer the knowledge she learned upon the real-life situations at work.

“In my first classes, I was pleasantly challenged with the new subject matter,” Juliet recalls. “As I progressed in the certificate, I began to see theory become reality when I dealt with compensation, benefits and employee-relations issues in my job. I loved working with the other students, who brought different experiences and ideas from the tech, manufacturing and retail industries. And certain classes are still a highlight of my experience because of the instructors, who brought their passion, knowledge and expertise to share with the class.

“I actually received opportunities to interview based on the relationships I made in the program and learned a lot about myself as an HR professional in the process,” Juliet adds.

Juliet is beginning her Master in Human Resources and Employee Relations at Penn State this fall.

Unlocking HR Lessons to Real-World Issues

Today, Juliet is an HR Manager and has added PHR and SHRM-CP credentials to her résumé. The certificate is one piece of Juliet’s ongoing education to show her credibility and commitment as an HR professional—and as a strategic partner in the organization.

And as education is a lifelong endeavor, Juliet is beginning her Master in Human Resources and Employee Relations at Penn State this fall.

“My professional track was given a solid boost by completing the certificate,” Juliet muses. “It was the best exposure to the profession for someone starting out in HR.”