Meet Project Management Student Adiel Uzabakiriho

A lifelong learner who enjoys online course availability

Adiel Uzabakiriho photo
Lifelong learner Adiel Uzabakiriho

Adiel Uzabakiriho is a true lifelong learner. Since moving to the United States from his native Rwanda, he has completed a master’s degree in social work and public health, and a Ph.D. in social policy and social research from Loma Linda University. Foreseeing a future in conducting research, Uzabakiriho felt the need to gain project management experience. Drawn to the Berkeley reputation, Uzabakiriho is close to finishing the Certificate Program in Project Management that he'll relay into a master's degree so that he can succeed at international humanitarian organizations.

I survived because the school has an office for students with disabilities.

Due to a recent loss in eyesight, Uzabakiriho is taking advantage of the flexibility the online courses afford. "I prefer to take classes online because of my physical challenges, so I don't have to walk all the time," he says. "But it doesn't make any difference because I can see and communicate with classmates anytime I want. We talk about our backgrounds and where we come from. I get a chance to learn about them and learn from them."

In addition, Uzabakiriho is thankful that UC Berkeley Extension provides disabled student services to help him complete the online classwork. "I survived because the school has an office for students with disabilities; any assistance I needed, I was able to get it. They have counselors who take care of every issue. Very professional people."