A Rising Interest in Health Care

My path to becoming a licensed CLS

In 2014, I received a B.S. in Health: Science, Society and Policy from Brandeis University but was unsure about which direction to go in our diverse health care system. I had wanted to become a physician, but over time learned the competitive, lengthy and expensive path was not for me.

During my last year at Brandeis, I decided to do something completely new: I took a part-time job at a high-volume commercial bread bakery. I quickly fell in love: Making naturally leavened bread brought together the science of fermentation with hands-on, creative and tasty work. Through baking, I found that I was good at developing and implementing systems, troubleshooting, problem solving and evaluating final products.

When I graduated, I came back to the Bay Area and worked as a baker for several years, eventually becoming a manager. As much as I loved this work, I arrived at the decision that I did not want to continue in the food industry.

While exploring career opportunities that related to my college degree, I came upon the role of a clinical laboratory scientist (CLS), also known as a medical laboratory scientist (MLS) or medical technologist outside of California. Realizing the integral, often-hidden role that laboratory testing plays in medicine, I dug deeper.

At the intersection of science, medicine and hands-on work, CLS appeared to be the most logical progression of my interests, experiences and skills.

Further drawn in by the seemingly endless potential for a long and successful career, I returned to school and began courses in UC Berkeley Extension’s Clinical Laboratory Scientist Preparatory Program.

My Educational Journey Begins

To be licensed, I had to complete an accredited training program and pass a national certification exam. I already had my B.S., but there were several additional courses I had to take to meet the admission requirements for the training programs; I also wanted to raise my GPA. All of my UC Berkeley Extension courses were available online or in person one to two times per week, and provided me with the opportunity to be a more competitive applicant for CLS Training Programs in the U.S.

During the course of four semesters, I took a total of six courses:

Medical Microbiology
Hematology
Immunology
Quantitative Analysis: Applications in Clinical Chemistry
Biochemistry
Physics II

I was joined in my Extension classes by friendly classmates who were excited to study and learn together, share our backgrounds and career goals, and support each other through the challenging and engaging content of the courses. Over time, I was able to identify and connect with some students specifically interested in the clinical laboratory. We shared knowledge about the application processes for various programs.

During my time at Extension, I was also able to build relationships and earn the support of several of my instructors, many of whom offered letters of recommendation in support of my application to CLS Training Programs. Many programs require two to three letters of recommendation, some specifically from instructors who can speak to your experience in the advanced sciences.

Completing the Clinical Laboratory Scientist Preparatory Program fulfilled my goal: enhancing my Training Program applications to be the most competitive applicant I could be.

In order to fully immerse myself and gain work experience in this space, I also became a clinical laboratory assistant (CLA) at a small clinical laboratory in Berkeley. I helped support the entire laboratory, primarily in the pre-analytical testing processes: receiving samples, accessioning and reagent preparation. As the COVID-19 pandemic progressed, we began to offer molecular testing.

Accepted Into Vanderbilt University School of Medicine MLS Program in Nashville!

Generalist training programs in California are extremely competitive, with more qualified students than openings. I found that I was a much stronger candidate to programs outside of the state of California.

Many non-California programs are geared toward senior undergraduate students, as opposed to post-baccalaureates. Leaving California ended up being the best thing for me: It allowed me to get accepted and complete my license sooner than if I had continued through more application cycles for programs in California.

Attending a major research and academic institution like Vanderbilt also provided me with exceptional experience and exposure beyond what hospital laboratories provide to students. I excelled in my coursework and clinical rotations, particularly enjoying the time spent in the Blood Bank, as well as the Hematology and Immunology departments.

The MLS program at Vanderbilt was structured as a combination of classroom learning, lab practicals and clinical rotations. Most were taught by scientists and specialists directly working in the various clinical laboratory departments. Classes were taught in our cohort of 12 students and rotations either individually or in small groups. Being in Nashville, we would often go out to see live music and eat hot chicken.

The program at Vanderbilt met the licensing guidelines for the California Department of Public Health. Although most non-California programs meet American Society for Clinical Pathology–eligibility licensing criteria, many do not meet California’s additional requirements.

I am proud of my achievement and the foundation I have established for a long and successful career in the clinical laboratory.

Back to the Same Laboratory

After graduating and taking the certification exam, I returned to the same clinical laboratory as a full-time CLS. I work on the bench, testing patient and clinical research samples using a variety of different methodologies and instrumentation. We receive samples locally and from across the country for our specialized test menu with fast results.

I am proud of my achievement and the foundation I have established for a long and successful career in the clinical laboratory. I have finally found a career path that meaningfully contributes to health care, while also providing me the stimulation and potential for development and growth that I was searching for.

I am just at the beginning of my career and am excited to continue to learn.