My Time in the Legal Studies Global Access Program

Studying and sightseeing

Hi! My name is Olivia, and I am an undergraduate studying Jurisprudence at East China University of Political Science and Law. I am a Legal Studies Global Access Program student here : ) Really enjoy and appreciate the study and life here! Follow my travels:

My First Month as a Legal Studies Global Access Program Student

Yunwen Ni Cal1 card

My student card 🙂

I feel like studying in Berkeley is one of the most challenging things in my life, still I can see my progress everyday!

Yunwen Ni class schedule displayed on her computer

My fancy class schedule

One thing different at UC Berkeley is that we have Professor’s office hours and GSI’s office hours with us. And I am more than grateful that they are so kind when I am “bothering” them with all kinds of questions!

Picture of students sitting on grass in a San Francisco park

The grass carpet in San Francisco 😉

Speaking of one of my most impressive impressions at Berkeley is the marvelous libraries here.

Yunwen Ni laptop on a desk in a UC Berkeley library

I like the cute space!

Inside look at a UC Berkeley library

My favorite DOE library

Photo of a squirrel sitting on concrete

Little surprise on the way to library

Photo of a Powerpoint presentation at a writing workshop

Yesterday, UC Berkeley Extension arranged a writing workshop for us. I feel moved that they are so thoughtful and want to provide the best experience for us in Berkeley. This blog is my first writing after the workshop. Hope you will like it 🙂

My Days in Berkeley, Part II

I cannot believe that there are only 50 days before I leave Berkeley. This time I would like to share with you the Top 5 interesting things that I can never forget here.

Weather

Words cannot express how much I love the sunshine in California. I think I have just seen two rainy days in my memory.

You can either lay on the grass to sun bathe or run in the sunshine every morning.

Diversity of Population and Food

Photo of food and drink on a restaurant table

California may be one of the best places for international students, considering the diverse atmosphere here and the great education system.

Everyday Progress

Image of student class scheduler on a laptop

I was so grateful for the help from my professors, GSIs and classmates. In the first week, I feel like I will never finish the readings, even if I sit in front of the computer all day long. Luckily, my mentors and friends gave us lots of advice.

Farmers Markets

Photo of grape tomatoes at a farmer's market

This is an interesting event that I have never seen in my home country. It is so amazing and fun to go to Berkeley farmers markets with your friends!

The Unique and Considerate Arrangement of LSGAP

I really want to share my thanks for the considerate arrangements in the Legal Studies GAP program. In two months, we visited the Berkeley City Council meeting and the Superior Court in Oakland, and this week we will go to the Berkeley Art Museum. Each study trip, we have our teachers accompanying us and they are so warm—just like the sunshine in Berkeley!

We also have lunches with J.D. students and have really helpful talks with them.

Every day in Berkeley, I feel like I am so lucky and hopeful—thanks to my LSGAP program!