Teaming Up: Extension and the Department of Rehabilitation

Program coordinator Jonathan Gill and student Sofia Tobar holding certificate
Program coordinator Jonathan Gill presents Sofia Tobar with her certificate of completion for the Certificate Program in Alcohol and Drug Abuse Studies.

"My personal journey into recovery started in March 2005," says Sofia Tobar. "However, my knowledge of the disease of substance abuse disorders was limited, especially regarding the aspects of how it affected my brain's neurological system, my liver enzymes, my lungs and all my other organs. I felt a call to study these disorders, and in the summer of 2013 I decided to enroll in UC Berkeley Extension's Certificate Program in Alcohol and Drug Abuse Studies. I have learned so much from the instructors and their experiences and now plan to work in this field!"

Tobar continues, "The Department of Rehabilitation (DOR) played an essential role by providing me with the knowledge and opportunity to return to school and with a caring case manager, the financial assistance and the tools I needed to be successful in achieving my career goal. I plan to be back in the working world doing what I love to do, earning a good salary to support myself and feeling proud of contributing to my community."

For information on how your organization can form a partnership with the Certificate Program in Alcohol and Drug Abuse Studies, contact program coordinator Jonathan Gill at (510) 642-1061 or email jonathangill@berkeley.edu.