“Use the right word.”

Oakland native Lia Mezzio says her mother—an English major who taught her early on to love reading, writing and languages—“was fond of saying that with a thesaurus in...

Since graduating from high school in the spring of 1998 in Mexico, Juan Resendes has built—brick by brick—his career in construction. Juan started an apprenticeship, followed by work as a framer...

Brhan Eskinder has the ick that’s going around in early 2024. She’s going to take a few days off from dental school to rest, but she’s determined to log on to Zoom and chat with me about her...

Gina LaMothe always wanted a career in the sciences. But in what field? Work in the clinic or be patient-facing? Focus on a certain subject or have knowledge of a wide swath of medicine?

From an early age, I've been drawn to the company of others. My journey began in the bustling environment of the restaurant industry, where I honed my interpersonal skills. Despite majoring in...

A career in the trades renovating homes, to a new one as a speech pathologist, and then to work in editing. That's Megan Rupert’s career journey. The commonality is that each requires strong...

In 2014, I received a B.S. in Health: Science, Society and Policy from Brandeis University but was unsure about which direction to go in our diverse health care system. I had wanted to become a...

It’s 2006. Krist Mejia has graduated from the University of San Francisco with a degree in mass communication. The Southern California native has fallen in love with the City By the Bay. His...

“From a young age, I had an interest in finance and accounting, as I was taught to keep track of my finances and be prudent,” says Certificate Program in Accounting graduate Anson Tan.

...

Hi, my name is Elisabeth Koss and I am a graduate of the Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Visual Arts. Let me tell you why I think this is a terrific program.

It all started with an exciting learning opportunity at Emilie Biondi’s high school. Through the Amgen Biotech Experience, Emilie and her classmates were given the opportunity to produce a protein...

“The clinical research process really takes a whole village to accomplish—which highlights the importance of project management. I discovered the huge amount of coordination and work needed, and...

Fascinated by the ever-changing technology landscape and its impact on society, I pursued computer engineering in India at ITM Group of Institutions. After graduating, I worked as a software...

Since 2008, Sheena Gaynes has focused her marketing career on identifying, growing, managing and developing partnerships within the tech industry. Her know-how and passion led to consistently...

In this first of many annual spotlights, we’d like to introduce you to the Post-Baccalaureate Health Professions Program’s Class of 2023! Each of the following alumni completed the program in...

Alis Vazquez immerses herself in all things clinical research—be it on-the-job learning or a structured, expansive curriculum through our Certificate Program in Clinical Research Conduct and...

I grew up in the capital of China, Beijing, and came to Shenzhen for my undergraduate studies. I'm majoring in financial engineering at The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen.

The draw to innovative business, questioning the status quo and finding new avenues to pursue career aspirations runs deep for Lucas Mortier. It’s what attracted him to begin studying law and...

In life, when things happen and you need to make a decision, being able to step back, assess and trust your gut instinct is important. So is knowing how to analyze situations, especially in...

Fantastic advice can come from anywhere—even from 30,000 feet up in the air. While on a flight, Jennifer Jacobson and a fellow passenger struck up a conversation. Talking about life in general,...

It’s a very high expectation for any high school senior to know what he/she/they wants to study in university. Harry Kenworthy found himself in that exact position. After finishing his A-Levels at...

Networking and having a certificate on your résumé is a powerful combination. This holds true for Sandra Titre

Mary Joann (MJ) Aguillon’s strength and resistance are palpable—even over email. Couple that with a commitment to health care and serving veterans, and there’s nothing that can stop MJ—not even a...

Certificate Program in Project Management graduate Fernando Villanueva is a longtime human resource professional, a career well-suited to someone whose career journey was influenced by learning...

When people come to Berkeley, they first and foremost come to pursue their academic careers. But once you’re here, you might realize how studying in the heart of the Bay Area is more than that:...

The first thing you notice when chatting with Sebastian Sartor—a Fall 2022 BHGAP graduate—over Zoom is his deep connection to UC Berkeley, the program and the people he met during his time here...

It’s not a big leap to say that Vanessa Sangari is committed to her professional development. This drive would keep her up most nights—literally.

A little bit about me: After graduating from high school in Germany, I decided to remain in the country to pursue an undergraduate degree. I had always been fascinated by both computer science and...

Even on a Zoom call, you can see how excited Michael Zhao is when talking about his work at Porsche. A strategy specialist in digitalization and innovation within Porsche Tech Talents, Michael...

For 10 years, Sheyla Jafarova has been immersed in all things sales. In fact, it was during her time as a travel sales consultant at AAA that inspired her to launch her own entrepreneurial venture...

Hi! My name is Hannah and I am 22 years old. I spent an academic year at UC Berkeley through the Berkeley Global Access Program! I am a comparative literature major with a minor in languages,...

Years of training, years of dedication. That’s what Lauren Jesse brought to her teams as a competitive athlete in gymnastics and diving. This resilience and fortitude have served Lauren well—not...

During his undergrad at UC Santa Barbara—where he double-majored in psychology and sociology and minored in music—Cole Leksan undertook an unpaid internship at Playback Recording Studio as an...

You can start to get a clear picture of what type of college counseling service you receive from Sheila Hallsted-Baumert when you check out her LinkedIn profile. The Certificate Program in College...

Drawn by the sea, sunlight and UC Berkeley’s renowned reputation, Keyang Pan traveled from Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen—where he is currently a third-year studying quantitative...

It’s letters like these that make our work in BGA so fulfilling! Thank you, Chuang, for your lovely and inspiring message:

“I was lucky to have excellent teachers very early in life who opened my eyes to many different subjects and fields,” reminisces Charlotte Young, a 2021 Post-Baccalaureate Health Professions...

“My appreciation for space planning and design is born from early childhood experiences,” says Certificate Program in Interior Design and Interior Architecture graduate Amber Lowi, who is also...

Claudia Huenchuleo Paquien earned her psychology degree from Universidad de Concepcion, Chile, and set straight to work to improve her local community. Rather than opt into a traditional clinical...

It was early on in life that Daniel Zakaria understood the importance of having a process when others are involved.

“Growing up, my younger brother and I often played with LEGO®, along with...

For Amanda Allen, health care is all about connecting the dots. For many years—both during her undergraduate studies at University of Colorado Boulder and then at Stanford University and now...

Many of us were caught off guard when the COVID-19 pandemic hit. Globally, the financial markets were unstable and the uncertainty trickled down from large corporations to smaller businesses to...

Mark Love’s career toward labor relations and human resources began to form at about 30,000 feet above sea level. His appreciation for international relations and politics is rooted in his...

Hi, I'm Lancelot Larcher, but I usually go by Lance in the United States. I am a 20-year-old French student from Paris, where I have spent my entire life up until now. Since childhood, I have...

Marine Danielyan bears witness to the strengths, weaknesses and opportunities of both her homeland, Armenia, and the United States. From the beginning of her education, Marine has kept a creative...

The career connections between psychology, chemistry and construction might not have been apparent at first to Alex Guidici. The path he found himself on was interspersed with bumps, interwoven...

“I've loved art and design—especially interior design—since I was a little girl,” Paulette Sarmiento enthuses. “It all began when my mom started a renovation in our penthouse apartment in Bogotá,...

In March, current and prospective students of our Personal Financial Planning certificate were excited to meet in person for our annual Career Night. Members of the certificate’s advisory board...

In the summer of 2022, Sibble (Qidi) Zhang left her home university, The University of Hong Kong, to attend UC Berkeley’s Summer Sessions in order to jump-start her Berkeley visiting-student...

Meenal Agarwal grew up listening to her father talk about managing business activities, operations and finances for the transportation and logistics company he built from scratch in Mumbai, India...

Elaine Chan grew up in the United Kingdom (UK) and moved to California when she was in eighth grade. During her secondary years, college admissions and career planning wasn’t top of mind for...

Growing up in the Basque city of Bilbao, on the Atlantic coast of northern Spain, Iñaki Longa wasn’t envisioning a career in the technology and information management industry. He attended the...

From an early age, Sergio Campos saw firsthand how to be responsible with money and work to gain financial security. Sergio’s mother, Lupe, has been his greatest influence for working and studying...

Like so many others, when COVID-19 hit, Ryan Nichols took some time for self-introspection. His 20-year-old web development company had hit a plateau. Sure, he was continuing to provide the best...

Shannon Milar is no stranger to the world of design. She’s logged more than 25 years of digital experience design at iconic, world-class brands:

Certificate Program in College Admissions and Career Planning graduate and independent educational consultant Priscilla Vivio recalls an early lesson on the first day in the first course:

“...

Marcelo Lisboa de Castro Reis is a naturally curious person. It’s what spurred him on to pursue and earn his mechanical engineering undergraduate degree from Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa...

The creative draw is strong with Hanna Bandalier. That first taste came while working as an editor and journalist at Houzz in her native Ukraine.

Since attending high school in the suburbs of Los Angeles, Hosea Lin has been guided to a career in business. He was chapter and sectional leader of Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA),...

Alan Tran’s initial interest in biological sciences was influenced by a life-changing experience during high school when he was a volunteer at the front desk of Kaiser Permanente in Fremont.

The technology that we know today was in its infancy when Scott Barney headed off to college. A career in communication wasn’t in his sights either.

A civic-first mentality combined with philomath—a term to describe a lover of learning—compels User Experience (UX) Design program graduate Lacy Kelly Ramos to aspire to new heights.

Reiss Reid is a self-proclaimed nerd. Like a moth to the flame, Reiss could spend all of his waking hours in the lab, developing new therapies to battle cancer by harnessing the power of the...

“I was raised in Laguna Beach by a mom who really encouraged creativity. Her inspiration along with the natural beauty of the city’s location and its then-liberal attitude toward the arts were a...

Professional Sequence in Editing and Professional Sequence in Technical Communication graduate Amber Fischer grew up in Boulder, Colo., attended Colorado State University and earned a degree in...

You can’t argue with Tetiana Pairman, a recent software development certificate graduate. As she says, “Software has become an integral part of our everyday life.”

Every step Kazuki Nakayashiki takes is propelled by a desire to give back to his community, to leave a positive mark on the world.

A great networking opportunity may just be a Nextdoor post away. At least that’s how Graham Quigley and Summer 2022 custom programs’ lead instructor Brett Yokom met.

In March 2020, my UC Berkeley Extension class shifted suddenly from a live classroom-based course to one held via Zoom. Although I initially found the platform challenging, I soon realized that...

As the Global Field Marketing Lead at Codat—an API provider for SaaS and financial-service providers—Kseniya Norkina is charged with ideating and executing on event and experiential-marketing...

For Natalie Lynn Harrison, finding her path in life via non-traditional educational opportunities is not something new.

Neither is getting creative to get her writing out into the world....

The wave of workers handing in their resignation slips since the start of the pandemic isn’t crashing, according to Fortune.com. In fact, a McKinsey survey cited in the piece puts that number at...

When Anne Chiruvolu was growing up in Massachusetts, she knew her interest in life sciences and in animals would eventually lead to a veterinary career.

So she attended Johns Hopkins...

You could say that goodwill is a common thread in Ken Nim’s life.

A lifelong learner, Ken wants to instill compassion and charity in his professional and personal development. Completion...

Originally from the San Francisco Bay Area, Alexander Craig attended Princeton University for his undergraduate degree, studying classics and the philosophy of science.

“I had a strong...

From a young age, Meagan Barry was drawn to medicine. Her father was an orthopedic surgeon and that type of care resonated with her. But it was during her undergraduate studies at UC Santa Barbara...

Sometimes following your career passion looks like a blueprint of those who surround you. But as you start to emulate that blueprint, you find yourself sketching a new map for your future.

When Camille Rasmussen started our Certificate Program in Marketing, she had already accumulated five years of professional content and marketing experience. A journalism graduate from the...

The switch from attending a private elementary school in L.A. to a public high school had deep reverberations for Post-Baccalaureate Program for Counseling and Psychology Professions graduate Ryan...

Ironically, it was serendipitous that the COVID-19 pandemic hit just when Gilmar Danila began his studies to become a clinical laboratory scientist (CLS) in our Clinical Laboratory Scientist...

Lorena González has always been drawn to helping students—specifically those who attend community college and reflect her own lived experiences.

Robin Duong has been moving up the accounting ranks. She started out as an accounts payable specialist at Allergan, moved to staff accountant at a luxury retail company in Santa Monica and is now...

One of the main drivers for Hristo Gueorguiev to register for the Certificate Program in Software Development and Programming was just a basic fact for software engineers.

Milly Vega already had more than 10 years of professional writing experience under her belt when she enrolled in our Professional Writing Program. She had worked as a communications technician, a...

In her early career, Kelly Kraft was mainly customer-focused. As a client success coordinator turned specialist turned senior manager, Kelly has been on the front lines to ensure that her...

Having a secure future has always been at the front of Certificate Program in Project Management graduate Laurice Gonzales’ mind. Born and raised in the Philippines, from an early age Laurice...

You don’t necessarily have to want to become a project manager to appreciate having project management skills, according to Roksana Dahl. This Certificate Program in Project Management graduate...

Yves De Souza aims to put “cost accountant in a manufacturing environment” on his résumé. Why? “I enjoy solving problems, and accounting is a field where there are so many opportunities to assess...

Maria Heintzinger has never been to Mars, the planet.

Maria has always lived in the surrounding communities of Pittsburgh and graduated from Mars Area High School. For college, she chose...

Solomon Abrams based a mid-career move into higher education because of his existing rapport with students throughout his volunteer work. “I wanted to take that connection, and I wanted to move...

I’m Hélène, a French Chinese graduate student majoring in business. I studied at EDHEC Business School in Paris, SKK University in Seoul and then worked in sustainable finance and private equity....

After becoming a hospice volunteer in 2017, Jeff Peeler never imagined it would lead him to an entire career change. Although he enjoyed his 13-plus-year career in software engineer and manager...

My name is Gustav and I am 23 years old. I have been studying international business and politics at Copenhagen Business School for the last two years. In the spring, I decided to complement my...

Having always been a keen observer and a sensitive and empathetic person, Karishma Bajaj’s career path to psychology is not surprising. Her mom had been a licensed professional counselor (LPC)...

My name is Nami Asaga. I am a 20-year-old sophomore student from Aoyama Gakuin University in Japan.

My name is Sarah Worsøe Larsen and I’m a 23-year-old undergraduate student from Aarhus University, School of Business and Social Sciences. My major is economics and business administration and...

Every day, I smile for a good ten straight minutes. From 12:00 pm to 12:10 pm. Precisely. That’s when University Carillonist Jeff Davis gives his concert from the top of the Sather Tower aka UC...

My name is Shreya Nemani and I’m an exchange student from the University of Melbourne in Australia. I consider myself very fortunate to pursue a semester in the Berkeley Haas Global Access Program...

My name is Yuhe Sun. I am a visiting student from the Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen. I’m in the Berkeley Haas Global Access Program (BHGAP) for the fall 2021 semester. It has been a...

My name is Anna Zheng and I’m studying Industrial Engineering with RWTH Aachen University in Germany. After postponing my exchange semester due to the pandemic, I’m now very happy to be studying...

My name is Yitong Zhang and I am a senior student majoring in English at Hainan University in China. I am spending one year at University of California, Berkeley through the Berkeley Global Access...

The way Ameer Acharya explains it, accounting and finance are perfect complements to each other when analyzing business growth and expenditures.

My name is Kohtaro Yagi and I am a junior from Waseda University in Japan, majoring in economics. I am part of the fall 2021 cohort for the Berkeley Haas Global Access Program (BHGAP) at Berkeley...

Living and studying in the Netherlands has always brought me a lot of pleasure. I love my Dutch friends, my Dutch family, the Dutch system, the Dutch food and the Dutch culture—Basically, the...

“I would not have applied to nor been accepted to an M.F.A. program if it weren’t for the instruction I received through the Certificate Program in Writing,” says Lisa Riddiough, who graduated...

“Why?” That’s Laura Potter’s go-to question when it comes to deciphering the intricacies of biological phenomena.

In 2019, Erica earned her B.S. in pharmaceutical sciences from Purdue University. Fresh out of undergraduate school, she went on to work as a medical scribe and a home care provider at an...

“Working with finance, marketing and product teams, I developed an interest to learn about the business. I was looking for an in-person business course of study with a flexible schedule when I...

For many, just the thought of changing their career path can be both scary—no matter which stage in their career they might be.

“Even though I was relatively early in my career, the thought...

For almost six years, Jessica Lang worked in the wine industry at Trinchero Family Estates. She began as a sales analyst, evaluating inventory numbers, translating data and preparing business...

Back in early 2020, Anna Kuzmenko was working as a project manager at small IT startup Renetec Inc. There, she handled various project management duties—from scheduling to agenda prep to leading...

According to Ferheen Abbasi’s LinkedIn profile, she is “passionate about making strong social change in the world” and her “greatest goal in life is to find a non-hormonal contraception method...

When you start working at a startup, you may find yourself wearing multiple hats. It’s just the nature of the beast. You have to be adaptable, Agile.

Judy Doherty understands that education is not just one step forward in a career progression, but it is an ongoing process of learning to update and hone skills.

There is no student with too little or too much experience to join us. Yes, even a Chief Marketing Officer (CMO) has room to learn new skills.

In France, Matthieu Bonenfant worked with...

More than 10 years of career-building experience led Heather Sheehan to her business analyst role with The Bountiful Company, the parent company of Puritan’s Pride and formerly, Vitamin World.

Ester Fernandez was interning at a local Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) office in Santa Rosa, Calif., when the COVID-19 pandemic hit. That’s when...

Current UC San Diego School of Medicine (Class of 2023) student Anita Satish has long held a goal: Be in a position where she can have one foot in the health care industry and one foot in the...

Jesus Mejia’s medical career dreams are built on the relationships that he has made. From volunteering at a pediatric hospital in his hometown in Missouri, to participating in the student medical...

In Steven Harris’ 20-year career in IT, he’s worked as help desk support, database administrator, network engineer and now as director of Information Technology and Systems for the University of...

Kalyani Satpathy has been immersed in the tech space for more than a decade. From receiving her bachelor’s in computer science from SRM University (Chennai, India) to developer and software roles...

We are so excited to announce that we are celebrating our 130th anniversary! Since 1891, it has been our pleasure to serve and support our students’ academic and professional goals. We remain...

Personal financial planning is personal to Eileen Loustau.

A fourth-generation San Franciscan, Eileen was the first person in her family to graduate from a four-year university and go on to...

In 2019, Josue Ccerhuayo graduated from the Universidad Tecnologica del Peru with a degree in computer science. With a job right out of college, he made his way into the tech industry working for...

Seven years ago, Kathleen Douangchak’s life looked a little different. You could find her all the way in Burkina Faso, West Africa, teaching English and science to children and working with the...

Successful people rarely rest on past performance, and Lulu Wang well knows the benefits of accruing new knowledge as she continues on her career path.

Lulu’s journey toward a UX career...

In a way, Jessica Raya’s personal background has been built on Abraham Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs concept. Born in Sacramento, Calif., Jessica eventually moved with her family to the Central...

I was finishing my Project Management Master at EAE Business School (Madrid) when I first heard about UC Berkeley Global’s “Accelerating Leadership Agility” two-week custom program. I immediately...

It is no secret that last year was quite a challenge! Now imagine finishing nursing school and starting your nursing career all around that time. We know a nurses role is often underestimated, let...

Certificate Program in Accounting graduate Manisha Gilliam is ready for the next step in her accounting career: sitting for the Uniform CPA Examination® (CPA Exam) and becoming a licensed...

My name is Xiyan Li. I'm a Chinese student who is participating in the Berkeley Global Access (BGA) program this semester. Normally, the plan is to study in Berkeley for a semester at the UC...

In January 2020, I had just arrived in California when I heard about the widespread outbreak of COVID-19. Later in March, I was told that the class would be turned into remote learning. One year...

Holly Smith is a socially conscious professional. So much so that she’s devoted her entire career in service to nonprofits.

My name is Jonas Hellweg, and I am a master's student from the University of Göttingen, majoring in business information systems. I am part of the spring 2021 cohort for the Berkeley Haas Global...

We support all students who are looking to expand their education—whether that’s preparing for graduate school, working toward a promotion or eyeing a career change.

A couple of years ago, I had a chance to visit the UC Berkeley campus, and I was impressed by the environment.

For many, 2020 was a difficult year. For Brazilian student Eduardo Panini, it was the year of taking risks, following his passion and making big changes to his career.

Ramin Partovi considers himself a career-changer. But upon further inspection, changing careers from a customer success manager to a UX/UI designer isn’t that far of a leap.

After receiving his Computer Science degree from National Cheng Kung University(Taiwan) in 2012, Shih Hung Lin began his career in the software industry. He started out at National Chung-Shan...

Needless to say, 2020 put a glaring spotlight on the many crises affecting our country.

When I asked College Admissions and Career Planning certificate student Joana Pantoja Scharinger how the Community Impact Scholarship will help her reach her career goals, she provided me with...

Kenia Macias was a migrant child. She would travel with her father from Mexico to Arizona for a few months so that her father could work. And when those few months elapsed, the two would move back...

Going to school in the United States was something Iliyana Bozhanina had thought about for a long time.

After starting private English lessons in Bulgaria in the 7th grade—and loving them—...

The allure of Berkeley—and the California lifestyle—was strong with Eduardo Ormeno, starting when he was 12 years old during a family visit.

UC Berkeley Legal Studies graduate Summer Bosse is motivated.

In 2019, Summer had finished a yearlong internship with the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office and had already been...

Electing to take nonfiction writing classes while working toward an international relations degree at Grand Valley State University, Kathryn started to gain experience that would later solidify as...

Our recent Berkeley Haas Global Access Program (BHGAP) cohort truly made the most out of their fall semester.

Do you love to take photos? blog? or create videos? Or maybe you want to learn a new skill?! Then the Global Ambassador program is just for you! Becoming apart of Berkeley Global student is an...

“During Diagramming and Prototyping for UX—the first class I took at UC Berkeley Extension—I remember the instructor saying that ‘architecture is the gateway to UX design,’” recalls Sana Maqsood...

A Spaniard born and raised, Carlos Gonzalez de Villaumbrosia grew up with a big dream of becoming a successful entrepreneur in Silicon Valley. After years of determination and perseverance, he...

Letizia Fara experienced a full educational experience while building up her résumé:

Fall 2019: an in-person program
Spring 2020: a digital-learning program
Today: an internship...

One of the advantages of studying at Berkeley Global is that you can reach out to beautiful places in Northern California within only a few hours. I arrived in the U.S. in 2019 before my Berkeley...

Clara Azulay is no stranger to design. She has a bachelors in design studies and graphic design from San Jose State University. She has professional experience as a designer at TechSoup Global,...

With having substantial work experience in my home country of South Korea, one of the reasons I decided to join Berkeley Haas Global Access Program (BHGAP) was to learn about innovation in Silicon...

Before full-time work in banking at Interbank, and before Berkeley, José studied industrial engineering as an undergraduate student at the University of Tecnologica Peru (UTP). He wanted to one...

According to a New York Post article, only 8 percent of people achieve their New Year’s goals. 8 Percent.

But let’s turn that number around. We continue to strive to meet our goal in...

We—Nathan, Louise and Utkarsh—are part of the GETT program. This is a transnational Master's degree program that brought us together along with 47 other international students.

“I have always been empathetic with a curious mind, always striving to learn more,” says Garima Sikdar. “My passion for design stems from the challenge of balancing conformity and creativity. The...

In September 2019, Jenais Zarlin was looking for a way to make a social and community impact.

Wanting to build up her practical sustainable management skills, Jenais found our Advanced...

On Monday, May 20, prospective and current project management students arrived at our San Francisco campus ready to hear from certificate alumni, instructors and working professionals. Program...

When Dylan Blackburn was 7, he was diagnosed with having a tumor growing on his pituitary gland (Cushing’s syndrome). He underwent brain surgery and was thought to have a life expectancy of 12....

For some, being a Trekkie and celebrating all that the series has to offer is just one aspect of their life. But for Jen St. Hilaire, the essence of Spock and Data also informs her career outlook...

Before launching his own food business, Berkeley Haas Global Access Program alumnus Basile Bedelek completed his Master’s program from three different continents. Through a unique transnational...

Gabi Galvin’s career push came from the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.

She was working for Twentyeight Health, “a mission-driven womxn’s health organization with the goal of increasing...

Berkeley Global alumnus Luis Aguirre always wanted to work in the business world. It’s why he studied business in his home university, Universidad Tecnológica del Perú. During his undergraduate...

When you talk to Adrian Morris, you are overwhelmed by her passion to help others. She is an advocate in the making.

You heard it here first! When we purchase our clothing, towels, blankets, et cetera, we typically only consider the look and feel.

After establishing herself in an affiliate marketing career, Isabel Korman realized that she wanted more from her career. She wanted to be able to create and think creatively on the job, engage in...

Adelle Brunstad’s passion for writing and telling stories that promote change started in her early adolescence.

While she’s only 19, Adelle doesn’t consider her lack of business experience...

Entrepreneurship certificate alumna Roberta Tanajura already has the best job in the world—being a mother. While doting on her two children fills her with much joy, Roberta is looking to get back...

“Philosophy prepared me for anything and everything. It taught me how to think; how to examine an argument; and to think of all possible implications, refutations and alternatives,” says Alana...

While pursuing his undergraduate studies in Business Management at Universidade Salvador (Brazil), Rafael Sampaio began accumulating work experience as a risk assurance associate at PwC Brazil...

Berkeley Global graduate Camilo Navarro and his friend’s entrepreneurial spirit pays it forward on a trek no one thought could be possible. The two lifelong friends’ trip landed them a new...

Sarah Al-Sheikhly loves to tell stories using analytics and data modeling.

It all began after graduating from Oregon State University with a bachelor’s degree in public health. She started...

Working 80-hour-weeks as a corporate lawyer drove Kelly Finley to look for something else.

That this something turned out to be a drafting course with us, and, ultimately, a career in...

From day one, Amy Paulson has experienced trauma. Abandoned shortly after being born in Seoul, South Korea, Amy was then adopted by a family in America months later.

This year, we virtually celebrate our annual Personal Financial Planning Awards. Hosts Brian Kozel, 2020 chair of the program’s Advisory Board, and Heather Liston, the program director, highlight...

Eduardo Dischinger is a man of many traits. In his native Brazil, Eduardo professionally played tennis while studying business at the Universidade Paulista. In addition to 8 years of competing in...

Fares Alsherhi excelled in high school. He had a passion for science and technology, getting involved in science fairs and various school programs. Throughout his high school years, Fares grew to...

Ever wonder who is behind the scenes discovering what new functions Siri® can do? Well, that just happens to be the job of Gabriela Guimarães, one of our Berkeley Global alumnae!

During Elis Valeria Anginski Cotosky’s first few years studying at the University of São Paulo in Brazil, she had a feeling she would find her way to Silicon Valley one day.

After graduating from UC Berkeley in 2006 with a degree in interdisciplinary studies and no longer on a student visa, Toby Atawo moved back home to Toronto, Canada. There, he worked as an account...

When I first contacted Certificate Program in Writing graduate and author Bill Truran, he had just heard back from his editor about his first manuscript since finishing the certificate. And how...

Yosemite National Park is one of the most famous national parks in the United States. I heard about it well before coming to UC Berkeley. Exploring Yosemite is said to be the thing you must do in...

The Berkeley Haas Global Access Program (BHGAP) truly impacted Natàlia Costa i Coromina. Natàlia thought that her time abroad would simply be a fun, cultural experience—but she got so much more...

Even before attending the Berkeley Haas Global Access Program, Karla was an entrepreneur in the making.

“I started the JackStudios Peru company with three partners two years ago,” Karla...

Halfway into my spring semester, chaos ensued and the Bay Area went into a shelter-in-place order. Words like ‘social distancing’ and ‘quarantine’ became common topics, and students across the...

Our Certificate Program in Personal Financial Planning provides an academic path to joining the financial planning profession. Through the curriculum, you learn to analyze and advise in all core...

Certificate Program in Project Management graduate Mark Summers is through and through a civil engineer. The field is analytical and practical, terms he would also use to describe himself. While...

Erin Richerson may have started her career as a teacher, but it was during a life-changing experience abroad that she began to rethink her initial plan.

An educational mission trip to Kenya...

Taking an active hand in her college education was just one of the many forward-thinking moves that Courtney Bell has made in her life. While at Colorado College, Courtney knew that she very much...

I arrived at UC Berkeley Extension to take part in the Professional Diploma Program in Digital Marketing, with almost four years of work experience in another field. Entering an academic...

“I’m a career changer,” Post-Baccalaureate Health Professions Program student Aidan Loeser writes in her scholarship application.

For more than six years, Aidan was making a difference in...

Back in the winter vacation of 2019, I attended a study 2-week program as a visitor to University of California, Berkeley. It was through that short period of time that I have made up my mind to...

Hi, everyone. I am Jiahui Cai (Jennie) from The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Shenzhen and I major in marketing. Currently I am doing my exchange semester in University of California, Berkeley...

You could say Tracy Locken partially owes her career direction toward freelance editing to a junior high school choir—and her tween daughter.

It is not surprising that Robert Matthew (Matt) Klinkel has excelled as a student in UC Berkeley Extension’s Post-Baccalaureate Health Professions Program; in 2014, he was a Fulbright scholar at...

Writing essays and short stories may not be on Nancy Tompkins’ career path. But it is now part of who she is.

When she finally decided to pursue graduate school for psychology, Lisell Perez-Rogers turned to UC Berkeley Extension's Post-Baccalaureate Program for Counseling and Psychology Professions for...

How does an art curator and events assistant end up in a writing and editing career in financial services? Well, for Alison Kranz, it was by way of two internships in Sacramento.

Elinor Cheung wanted two things: to live in a warmer climate and to paint. Item #1: She moved to the San Francisco Bay Area, from Minnesota. Item #2: She completed the Specialized Program in...

“As is common with many English teachers,” Barbara says, “I thought of myself as a teacher who might have been a writer if my life path had led me there instead of into the classroom. I had...

I’m on the phone with Jesse Pence, and her love for the personal financial planning professional is practically oozing out of the handset.

Early on, Stephanie Martch knew that a combination of science and writing would make up her career path. What she didn’t know was that a proficiency in editing would be the skill that would...

Get information on the PMP Exam and tips on how to successfully pass it with this infographic.

On Wednesday, August 14, current Project Management certificate students and others who are interested in taking the PMP® Exam came to our San Francisco location to hear how our esteemed panelists...

Kitty He’s atypical career path to user experience design is actually pretty typical for UX professionals.

“I have always felt drawn to helping people,” says Post-Baccalaureate Program for Counseling and Psychology Professions graduate Sam Kushner. Helping people—in the form of providing exceptional...

The path to working in the health professions can be a winding road. There are so many questions to ask of yourself:

Certificate Program in Project Management graduate Hazel Johanson is no stranger to managing project schedules.

With our certificate, Hazel is rounding out her skill set. From planning and...

English as a Second Language teacher Dana Neufeld had majored in Community Studies at UC Santa Cruz, with a minor in Latin American and Latino Studies. She was offered admission to a master’s and...

Sometimes all it takes is one opportunity at work to change your career direction. For Jaimee Drew, it was being asked to join a team for a credit union’s organizational project.

Specialized Program in Professional Writing graduate Helen Schultheis has a “great love for storytelling, and a knack for educating and entertaining consumers.”

This is not surprising:...

Three years ago, Eleanor Portacio Abea decided to steer away from a career track that she no longer found challenging. While she had worn many different hats at Stanford Health Care—including...

When he began the UC Berkeley Extension Certificate in Project Management, Joshua Lanada was working full time as the Project Coordinator for startup video game company Trion Worlds.

Do you visualize your own career opportunities as a beautiful landscape, complete with green meadows and valleys, winding streams and roads? A new adventure around every bend? Mountains in the...

When Macarena Muniz moved to the United States from her native Chile, she thought that her previous job experience might not be weighed accurately when competing for positions with local...

I’m an international student from El Salvador who has been studying business.Before coming to UC Berkeley Extension, I finished my bachelor’s degree in business administration at Universidad...

For some, online advice and tutorials provide enough information to keep their finances on track. For others—like Sarah Sprague—having a more structured learning environment is preferable.

While Jayinee Basu was pursuing her double major in literature/writing and political science—with a minor in studio art—at the University of California, San Diego, the thought of becoming a doctor...

Walking into the art room as a sixth grader, Rucha Chattur was enraptured by the colorful scene that met her eyes: the brilliant paint bottles, the scatter of brushes and the bright paintings...

Career change is never easy. It takes education and training, work, a belief in self and—sometimes—just a spark of confidence.

Now a senior product marketing manager at Granular, Sophia Fox once thought she’d build her career on political science and international relations—subjects she’d studied since middle school....

Therese Becker’s passion for helping others through counseling dates back to high school: “When I was a senior, we had an assignment in which we had to think about what we wanted to do in life....

The nonprofit’s dedication to empowering survivors of violence remains strong—and helping the cause is Heather Anderson. She began working at Live Violence Free as a legal advocate, discussing...

There’s an expectation that when you graduate college, you’re going to pursue a riveting career in your chosen major. But for some, a passion in college doesn’t translate to a passion in the...

On Wednesday, November 28, current students and those interested in our Certificate Program in Personal Financial Planning came to our San Francisco campus to hear how our esteemed panelists—many...

Not many people would think the roles of baker, musician and editor are all connected. But for Harlow Carpenter, who identifies as nonbinary and uses they/them pronouns, life is all about...

Ivan Trujillo, the director of the Graphic Design and UX Design programs at UC Berkeley Extension, recommended that we talk with Ricky Pascual, one of his recent graduates. Ivan was impressed by...

If you want to keep your finger on the pulse of what’s happening in tech, you might want to head over to TechCrunch, a website dedicated to reporting on news, opinions and analysis from tech...

With every step Brandon Lim takes, he’s getting closer to his dream job of working in a patient-centered role.

Medieval History is fascinating: manorialism, feudalism, Vikings, the Crusades. These are just a few of the highlights from this 10-century-long period that Aleisha Gottlund enjoyed teaching at...

One year and one month: The fast-track timeframe for Phillip to take his B.S. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology from UC Davis and jump-start a career in regulatory affairs. And this career...

While still enrolled in UC Berkeley Extension’s Certificate Program in Data Science, Swathi Annamalai started as a data scientist at edtech startup CreativeLive. She had already completed four...

Growing up in a first-generation, low-income immigrant family, Sooeun (Tiffany) Kim faced firsthand struggles and challenges due to social inequality. Her family had had difficulty with...

While Marissa Joy Clark felt unchallenged in her day-to-day work as an office manager, there was one shining light: She was able to work on marketing functions, even though it wasn’t part of her...

“Professionally, this certificate has earned me a promotion and respect from the owners of Veritable Vegetable,” enthuses Certificate Program in Accounting graduate Casey Velasco of her new...

The phrase “high-throughput screening” doesn’t initially grab your interest, but when you delve into it—the complexity and applications of its processes—you start to see why Joseph Walker is...

Mark Schreier is no stranger to the legal field. Since 1999, he’s held various legal assistant positions, primarily focused on intellectual property.

For as long as she can remember, Aliceanna Stopher has always been writing. At a young age, she wrote to keep herself occupied. Later on, she attended creative writing classes and an intensive art...

This story should sound familiar to anyone who is thinking of switching careers to accounting.

Despite traveling and working around the globe and working at lucrative tech startups, Bradley Heinz kept feeling the draw to medicine.

Like many starting college, Ankita chose a major where the expectations were known: Her father was a businessman, so she studied business. But Ankita always had a penchant for design.

For Barbara Hanly, it’s all about making a difference in patient care and health.

Suzette Nubie has more than 21 years of professional experience working in the biotech and pharmaceutical industry. During her tenure, Suzette has worked in both quality control and quality...

The sound of Todd Lawrence and his wife’s eight-month-old son crying as they dropped him off at daycare so they could go to work catapulted him toward a complete overhaul of his career. Instead of...

For a lot of people, a career in STEM is the end goal. But for Oscar Ko, a career as a software engineer at Boeing was just a launching pad.

This continuous flow of information and understanding are what brought Jennifer Cuvin to our Professional Program in Regulatory Affairs.

After working in IT for a number of years, Sterling Tai found that the work wasn’t his cup of tea. He was good at numbers and desired work that was long-term and stable. But to career-switch to a...

Brian Naylor knows a thing or two about online retail and project management, having worked with international brands across a range of industries around the globe.

Jensine Sneeden does not let geography hinder her career choices.

In 2012, Jensine earned a B.A. from St. Lawrence University in upstate New York, where she majored in government and...

North Carolina–based Elizabeth Bobst is more of a “rule-fudger than a rule-follower.”

A longtime educator—from middle- and high-school English teacher, to college admissions reader, to...

Because the Certificate Program in Project Management can be completed fully online, we see students who come from all regions of the United States—and even abroad. Such is the case with 2016...

For almost six years, Kyle Takahashi worked at a private dental practice in Piedmont, Calif. There, he worked on the frontlines with the patients—from scheduling to interacting with insurance...

You can find Lyndsay Orwig starting the second rotation of her Accountant Internship Program with the City and County of San Francisco.

Donna Smith was only four years old when she had a life-saving surgery to repair a complex congenital heart defect—and her parents’ health insurance saved them from any resulting financial...

Jyotiska Chaudhuri’s résumé is impressive.

Like Marie Coreil, you might already have a long, satisfying career in one industry when you suddenly find yourself wanting to pursue something new. For 23 years, Marie had taught medical...

Back in 2015, Leslie Cachola was having difficulty getting accepted into medical school. She had a B.A. in Human Biology from Stanford University. She had full-time work experience in clinical...

We are proud to announce that we’ve been named “Best Continuing Education for 2018” in an Oakland Magazine reader's poll. An East Bay institution since 1891, UC Berkeley Extension now helps tens...

On Thursday, March 27, 2013, Ken Mandelkern had an aha moment. It was after supper, and he was on the couch reading A Farewell to Arms as his kids slept upstairs and his wife, Annie,...

In 2012, Ryan Barrett decided to go back to school. A variety of professional and personal factors led him to this career change. After graduating from the University of Southern California with a...

“I remember being unable to sleep one night—and thinking about the various inadequacies of the job I was working at the time—and somehow realizing that writing was something I had been denying...

More than five years ago, Vincent Chu took an important step toward officially becoming a writer: enrolling in The Craft of Writing, a required course in the Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program...

Cara Sperry was about five years into her job as a vocational trainer at Computer Technologies Program in Berkeley, when her brother, a U.S. citizen, suffered a fall while living in South Korea....

In Nepal, agriculture is considered one of the major economic sectors—employing 66 percent of the total population and contributing 33 percent to the GDP. With such a high dependency placed on...

“This recognition is one of the highest honors granted by the Brazilian government to citizens of my country,” Mauricio enthuses. “It’s called Cruz do Mérito do Empreendedor JK, a reference to...

PingWah Poon is no stranger to the medical world. He has a bachelor’s in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology from UC Davis. He worked at a biotech company for five years: first as a gene...

Our Voices blog features many students who have completed certificates and programs and are fully committed to continuing education and career change.

While Michele Davis may have transitioned from a profession in sales to one in human resources, the talents to be a successful and respected HR practitioner come easily to her.

When Victor Gavallos started his undergraduate education at University of San Francisco, his goal was to continue to his studies to become a doctor—specifically, a pathologist.

“It wasn't just one single moment that I had this cataclysmic kind of thought; it was more that I had a calling my whole life and then I finally yielded to it."
      —Extension Honored...

For the past 17 years, Leonil Carreon has been enjoying a project management construction career with a local real estate company in his native Philippines.

We recently had the opportunity to visit Extension student and product specialist Lisa Jacquiot.

When Thomas Farley enrolled in Creative Nonfiction Workshop, he didn’t know what he was getting himself into. Already a published writer of nonfiction for magazines, newspapers and websites,...

When Robin Andrae and her siblings had to make decisions about their parents’ end-of-life care, they found themselves faced with puzzling questions and hard decisions. Nobody could agree on...

When pharmacist Swapna Deshpande moved to the United States in 2013, she had a Master of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Quality Assurance from her native India. One would have thought that she had the...

Marcela Corona was already leaning toward a design career when she first came to the United States with her partner, a graduate student at UC Berkeley.

As the manager of the solutions engineering team at OneLogin, Khizar Sultan is responsible for the output of his five solutions engineers. These engineers work hand-in-hand with an in-house sales...

To be a successful actor and voice-over artist, one must put themselves into their character's mindset in order to deliver a believable portrayal. "What is my character feeling during this scene...

Today, Anthony is fully invested in project management, working as an IT project manager at Agilent Technologies. There, he leads IT project teams to implement solutions that increase the...

Named after artist Paul Cézanne, Bay Area native Cezanne Rothberg turned to graphic design after a year and a half as a travel photographer and writer in Bali.

According to the latest Surgeon General’s Report released in 2016, 20.8 million people aged 12 and older in the United States had a substance use disorder in 2015. How many of those 20.8 million...

Nutrition is a complex multidisciplinary field that brings together the biological sciences, economics, politics, human behavior and environmental science. I chose to pursue a graduate degree in...

For marketing certificate graduate Jonathan Geilhufe, he's ready to make each potential lender a well-informed, educated and confident home-buyer. How? As the new Director of Digital Marketing at...

Yoko Tahara was inspired to start an artistic career when she viewed a series of woodblock prints by noted artist Shiko Munakata

Last year, Heather Paulsen won the “Building the Movement 2016” award at the annual B Corporation Champions Retreat for her stewardship and project management expertise in helping companies become...

“I've been at PG&E for about 10 years now,” says Fred Brew at the beginning of our interview.

Even when things are going well, it sometimes helps to take a moment, take stock and decide how you can take better advantage of your talents. For Gordon Ludwick, his job as a stationary engineer...

"I can't get a job if I don't have experience, but I can't get experience if I don't have a job." Writer Lorna Walsh became well aware of this catch when she switched gears to embark on an editing...

Evan Brookes credits his understanding of the legal process and his ability to dissect contracts to his training at UC Berkeley Extension.

At its base, music is a result of mathematical principles and logic. It's a set of formulas and theories to produce a set of notes that invoke, inspire and imagine. The same holds true for science...

Keeping your skills sharp and staying up to date with trends in your field are key in today's competitive climate.

You can be forgiven a dropped-jaw reaction when you learn about Sharon Hunter’s many accomplishments. A nurse for 30 years at St. Joseph Health in Eureka, Calif., Hunter gets a deep satisfaction...

For Jacqueline Flores, working as a paralegal comes with some great perks. As she finishes up her undergraduate studies in order to apply to law school, Flores is able to keep her head in a legal...

If you’re looking for a program to get a quick-and-dirty overview on the basics of teaching English, this isn’t it. But if you’ve never taught in a classroom before, or want to challenge yourself...

While J.P. Ouellette’s career path up until coming to UC Berkeley Extension’s project management certificate may seem a bit “nonlinear,” each position required him to manage a team

Many writers dream of one day being published. Not many people aspire to call themselves an editor. Yet editing is a competitive field, and the skills required to be a successful editor are very...

In the summer of 2016, Dawn Walton-Ary was promoted to Vice Principal of Curriculum and Instruction at The Conservatory of Vocal and Instrumental Arts (COVA), where she is responsible for creating...

They’ve studied Chinese. Learning Chinese has become more popular and increasingly necessary in today’s global marketplace, giving those who can speak Mandarin greater leverage in growing their...

Chances are, you’ve thought about learning a foreign language before. Did you know ... The benefits of bilingualism include improved cognitive skills and reduced risk of dementia. The annual...

In his finance days, Young Kang would feel a surge of pride every time his clients were on the path to meeting their financial goals. But he wanted to do so much more for them.

Ensuring that a conference is successful isn't just about getting the word out to fill seats. It's also not just about putting together a series of panels or events to draw in the crowd.

For 22 years, Vincent Scarlata had a successful career as a business analyst at a San Francisco financial services firm. But a sudden staff reduction meant new skills.

Now in the thick of University of San Francisco's M.F.A. in Writing, post-bacc writing grad Rose Heredia reflects on the good preparation for graduate school that she received at Extension.

You'd think writers would excel at filling out graduate school applications and submitting personal essays, right? Even if your writing chops are top-notch, you'll want to make sure you are fully...

Molly Mueller patiently built her knowledge and skills in a variety of positions that necessitated an eye and talent for design.

\Nutrition plays a major role in our physical, mental and emotional health—a truism that registered dietitian Melissa Javaheri fully subscribes to. And her patients are the better for it.

It has been four years since Dennis Crawford completed the Certificate Program in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL). Although he claims to be fully retired, Crawford’s career...

As the Senior New Business Representative at PG&E, Certificate Program in Project Management graduate Kate St. Amour manages new commercial business and residential developments for gas and...

A graduate of UC Berkeley Extension’s Designated Subjects Adult Education (DSAE) Teaching Credential program, Drain is now one of a team of 12 teachers who works with newly blind adults at the...

Katie Fenton loved the high adrenaline that comes from being a military nurse—a path she's followed since graduating with a bachelor's degree in nursing

Location, location, location—that’s not always a requirement when you’re looking at schools to further your education. Living hundreds or even thousands of miles away from Berkeley, you can still...

Duane Kubischta received an advanced engineering degree from UC Berkeley and quickly entered the biotech field as an instrumentation engineer.

Getting her writing published didn't come easily to Lisa Riddiough. Rejected by agents and editors for a children's picture book, Riddiough found herself needing a formal program to strengthen her...

Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages offers a window into other cultures, a way of better understanding your own, and an avenue to connect with your students and community. Nora...

Not everyone is sure if what interests them is what they are meant to do for a living. With the Certificate Program in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, Sylvia Cossar got her feet...

Hers is not the traditional success story. It is not one where a student completes a sequence of courses and then lands a job or a promotion soon after. Susan Stasi’s success story is one that...

The field of biological sciences is constantly evolving, what with new discoveries, research and novel techniques inundating a scientist on a daily basis.

Fourth-year medical student Daniel Shapiro successfully matched with Boston Combined Residency Program's pediatrics.

Not only is Lorna Partington Walsh enhancing her creative writing by learning the ins and outs of editing, she’s also helping other editors launch their careers in the field.

In five years, Pamela Rosecrance will be completing her final year in residence at the University of Tennessee Ph.D. program (where she was recently admitted to) and preparing for a clinical...

Mark Langton's years as a journalist left him with many great memories, both as an entertainment columnist for the San Francisco Examiner and as a theater critic for the Marin Independent Journal...

While working in China at an environmental nonprofit, Simon Feng Ou wanted a career that would sustain his interest.

No stranger to UC Berkeley Extension—he has taken classes to earn CEUs—John Edwards found that the Professional Program in Eating and Weight Disorders was a natural fit to better serve his clients...

While being a pharmacist is challenging work, Juyun Yim wants a career where she can express her creativity.

For many people, retirement provides the opportunity for leisure, travel, taking classes for personal enjoyment. But for Ben Lee, retirement means studying for a new career.

As an undergraduate at SF State, Jarell Cruz was having trouble getting into classes—either they were only offered every other semester or they were full.

Unsure of making the career change to HR from a program coordinator role at a social enterprise accelerator program, Bocanegra started at the beginning: taking Essentials of Human Resources at UC...

Natalia Aranda Castro thought that when she moved to the Bay Area from her native Colombia, she would have to give up her legal career. But she soon found out that this isn't the case at all.

While working as a management consultant at a Big 4 consulting firm, Shilpi Agrawal was drawn to the interactions with different clients and team members on a daily basis.

Jason Miller doesn't have a moment to spare. As LinkedIn's group manager for content marketing and social media, and the recent author of Welcome to the Funnel: Proven Tactics to Turn Your Social...

Since moving to the United States from his native Rwanda, he has completed a master’s degree in social work and public health, and a Ph.D. in social policy and social research from Loma Linda...

Kim Jones knows the importance of education. A high-school dropout, Jones returned to school to receive his GED, which was soon followed by an associate's and then a master's. After working in...

As the market shifts toward skill-centered jobs, calls for prioritizing career and technical education (CTE) increase. The U.S. Secretary of Education remarked, “CTE has an enormous, if often...

Poring through numbers to prove causes and correlations as a psychological-health researcher at UCSF and UC Berkeley, Colin Fyfe began to miss the one-on-one communication that is part and parcel...

After working in the nonprofit art sector for several years and discovering a penchant for human resources (HR), Gibson was hired as an employee benefits manager at a local nonprofit in 2007.

For Professional Sequence in Technical Communication graduate Dianna Bautista, it was during her final year of studying biochemistry and cell biology abroad that she realized she wanted to pursue...

After a short career break from being a software engiener, Sreevani Sreejith re-emerged with a career change to technical writing.

Working toward leadership and management skills often means taking continuing education courses to get certified in these professional competencies. José Tercero was one such person who followed...

While many teenagers try to figure out what they want to be when they grow up, Angela Sullivan knew right away in junior high: While taking a business course, she knew she wanted to be an...

Jennifer Lugris is at her best when she has a paintbrush in her hand. Lugris began taking art courses in Los Angeles, eventually moving to the Bay Area.

Making a career transition is no easy feat for any working professional. Between working full time and other responsibilities, making education a priority in order to learn skills can be...

"The great thing about the program is that it cuts across demographic lines," he says. "When you're getting feedback, you don't get it from a single demographic but from different types of people...

It takes a leap of faith to follow your passions—especially when you're an undergrad and have to declare a major. Aisa Valenzuela never faltered in her faith in writing.

Not content with easing into retirement by sitting, reading or watching TV, Ed Shockley has done some soul-searching as to "what's next."

For teachers, the key to engaging the minds of children is to expand on the information already included in the required textbooks. With that in mind middle-school teacher Liz Bodle seeks new...

When Jennifer Brandl first began the Certificate Program in Clinical Research Conduct and Management online, she was a research associate and felt limited in career prospects as she lacked a...

Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Visual Arts graduate Catherine Kiwala recently exhibited her artwork at our San Francisco campus.

For Corey Datz-Greenberg, making a career change from union organizer to psychologist isn't that much of a mind-shift.

"I had a lot of students from India and Korea, and I didn't know how to help them," he says. "They were really well-meaning and bright students, but they came in with such weak writing and...

Elena Ortiz began her professional career at Texas-based Houston Chronicle newspaper, setting type and designing layouts back when rulers and exacto knives were a printer's primary tools.

Communications isn't just about words, social media posts or newsletters.

Back in 2011, during evenings and weekends, Jeff McLaughlin studied, read and translated ancient Greek and Latin. "Work occupies so much of our time,” he says. "It's great to have this opportunity...

Originally a public finance instructor at Chabot College, before taking positions in the aerospace industry and as a software engineer, Briski is returning to his first love: teaching. Setting his...

In the Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program in Writing, Laurie Blanton is gaining new tools and structure to finesse her psychological fiction novels.

Nora Mitchell compares her professional career to stages in a play. Act 1: A position in high-tech marketing communications for 12 years at Wind River Systems. Act 2: Working at a nonprofit and...

A move to the United States from her home country finds Tanvi Mahajani making a transition from dentistry to a new career in business. Currently volunteering in the American Red Cross’s Volunteer...

After 13 years in technical and product support at Bio-Rad Laboratories, Carla Terry welcomes a career change that she can feel passionate about.

Instructor Tony Yeh's presentation at a Certificate Program in Finance information session continues to resonate with Josh Fiedler—specifically, Yeh's insistence that the curriculum emphasizes...

With 20 years of experience in sales—the past 12 with BIA Cordon Bleu as VP of sales—Nathaniel Allen doesn't require new skills or knowledge to advance his career. Rather, he's looking for a new...

With 25 years of experience in software engineering, Susan George is learning current methodologies to advance her management career. After completing the Professional Sequence in Agile Management...

Daniel Levie's passion is cooking and has been since he was young. A sous chef at UC Berkeley's Cafe 3 dining hall, Levie not only pushes himself to further his own culinary adventures but also...

Stan Lewandowski—a corporate lawyer at K&L Gates working with startups, banks and energy companies—knows that success at his job requires being fully versed in the intricate financial aspects...

While some students take classes and then volunteer to get real-world experience, Phyliss Martinez, a UC Berkeley School of Law program administrator, is taking the opposite route. Already a...

Vanessa Vun is enjoying a successful career as a clinical laboratory scientist (CLS) at the University of California, San Francisco, thanks in part to UC Berkeley Extension's Immunology and...

Ho's advice to others considering educational options is to always invest in your career. "As educators, we are paid—and bumped up—according to how many continuing education units we get. In my...

Amy Loewen transferred all of her credits earned in the Certificate Program in Teaching English as a Second Language to the University of San Francisco’s M.A. in TESL. Saving both time and money,...

Sometimes a degree isn't enough. For Samantha Edwards, the Certificate Program in Landscape Architecture is the perfect complement to her B.S. in landscape design.

With more than seven years of human resources experience at a Bay Area architecture firm, Iulia Moldovan is gaining additional HR knowledge with the Certificate Program in Human Resource...

Despite demanding 12-hour days as a construction project engineer, Ana Lazo is determined to complete the Certificate Program in Construction Management with distinction.

A graduate of the Certificate Program in Clinical Research Conduct and Management, Joyce Nortey is now a clinical research associate—a position she believes is the result of receiving the...

Eric Hon wasn't a passive student while completing the Certificate Program in Personal Financial Planning. Rather, he engaged his instructors and took that extra time to pick their brains for...

Previously working at engineering firm Integral Group/Rumsey Engineers since its start in the founder's garage, certificate graduate Maria Briggs Berta is now working at another engineering...

Re-entering the health care field after six years as a stay-at-home mom, Susan Dugan looks to the Certificate Program in Health Advocacy to supplement her Master of Social Work and Master of...

Learning in an online-only environment is certainly a different way to soak up knowledge than being in a physical classroom. But for Kyle Cameron, his determination to excel in the Certificate...

Stephanie Laila Tuxen Bisgaard draws on her experience as a clinical psychologist in Copenhagen, Denmark, to enhance the lively discussions in her Counseling and Psychology courses at Extension....