Switching Careers Into Clinical Research

Graduate Joyce Nortey reflects on the importance of her certificate

Photo of Joyce Nortey

A graduate of the Certificate Program in Clinical Research Conduct and Management, Joyce Nortey is now a clinical research associate—a position she believes is the result of receiving the certificate. "Prior to obtaining my certificate, it was hard to justify to potential employers that I was qualified to work in the industry solely with my B.A. in psychology," Nortey says.

Having this certificate from a reputable institution made me a stronger candidate within the industry.

"When I applied for my current position in November 2013, my résumé said that I would be completing the certificate in December 2013," Nortey continues. "I received the offer after I had completed the certificate and was eventually hired with the title of clinical research associate. I personally believe having this certificate from a reputable institution made me a stronger candidate within the industry."

Having completed the certificate online, Nortey feels that the interactions with instructors and students help bring the curriculum to life. "I was able to ask the instructors questions about the coursework and about my job," she says. "The discussion boards were helpful with connecting with fellow students; we were able to bounce ideas off of each other."